Welcome

We have moved! Check out our new blog: Everyday Moodlings.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Storage.....Buttons

Happy Wednesday!

Time to talk organizing and storage.  This week we are focusing on buttons.  I am in the process of updating my button storage.  Which I think is a theme for crafters.....we are constantly re-organizing.  Most of my buttons are organized in the trays pictured below.  This are deep drawer organizers intended for office supplies.  But that never stops us, does it.  We can always re-purpose items.  Plus they are pretty inexpensive.  I believe I purchased them for $5 a piece at Walmart.  I have 6 of them and they are housed in a shelving unit that supports my desk.

Years ago I started organizing by color and I am so happy I did.  The only buttons that are not in these drawers are my white buttons.  Because I have toooooooo many of them.  Imagine that.  LOL!


So I have been weighing my options.  I have these metal buckets....which I love, but also hate.  Why do I hate them?  Because I can't see what is in them.  Currently they house a variety of embellishments and multi-colored ribbon.  But because I can't see what is in them I never use anything housed there. UGGGGG! Time to make a change.


While updating the MCL Pinterest Board I found many, many photos like this one.  I am planning on swapping out my buckets for Mason jars.  Now I just have to figure out what to with the buckets.....don't know if I can part with them. :)


Now it is your turn.....how do you store your buttons?
Jeri'

8 comments:

  1. A use for the buckets....If you have a crop-a-dile 2, punch holes in them and decorate them with brads and gems. Try some ribbons on the handles.

    Great for decorating. Use holiday themes....Easter, 4th of July, Christmas,etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use baby food jars stored on these round lazy susan things...back from when my kids were babies! Not sure you can get them anymore but I will post a pic on the class website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I store mine in clear containers with screw on lids sorted by color. The containers fit perfectly in a lure box. I also store other things in those containers like gems,pin backs,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a lot of buttons. But I recently got a few small bags in different colors. These are stored in a tackle box with other coordinating embellishments. The ones I really like are my vintage buttons and those are in a separate small box close to me so that I can see them daily and use them as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who owns a japanese restaurant. He saved me a bunch of used saki jars... free & perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been saving little plastic prescription bottles to put my buttons in - I don't have that many. I covered the bottles and lids with paper and washi tape (cause unfortunately they're tinted brown) to match the button color. My bigger collections (black, white, and brown) are in small canning jars, and the red, green, and blue ones are in cute little bowls that I got for a dollar! I tried to put a photo here, but I guess you can't do that on blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little buckets are super and I can see why you would want to keep them, they would make perfect containers for Easter eggs as table setting gifts.
    Re the buttons, my collection is a very modest one and I still use the button tin that was my Mum's. It is a piece of memorabilia from Queen Elizabeth's coronation in 1953.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use left over pimento jars. They are small, clear and stack great on the shelf that runs along my basement craft room!

    ReplyDelete